If the off-site trip involves a travel company, the Visit Leader should establish the level of insurance provided by their own employer in order to determine whether additional insurance is required.
If the employer provides adequate cover, the Visit Leader will not need to obtain additional insurance through the travel company.
If additional cover is required the travel company will be able to advise on insurance requirements. However, the following are examples of points to consider when arranging insurance:
- Are there any exclusions?
- Is liability cover provided?
- Is personal accident cover provided?
- Is there cover for damage to / loss of hired equipment?
- Is there any excess? (The first part of a claim which is not covered – who would pay this?)
The Visit Leader should consult their own local authority to confirm requirements.